Stroke symptoms and signs
The signs and symptoms of a stroke depend on the area of the brain affected. Typically, symptoms come on suddenly - over seconds to minutes.
Common stroke symptoms and signs
- Sudden headache
- Difficulty speaking or swallowing
- Confusion or trouble understanding speech
- Vision loss or blurry vision in one or both eyes
- Weakness or numbness in the face, arm or leg
- Dizziness, loss of balance, lack of coordination
FAST is an acronym used to rapidly check for common signs of stroke.
Face – has one side of the person's mouth or face drooped?
Arm – can the person lift both their arms?
Speech – is the person's speech slurred or strange?
Time – if the person shows any of the above signs, it's time to seek medical help.